Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Missing Muse

What do you all do when your muse deserts you? When she gets p-o'd at you for wallowing in self-doubt about your creative abilities and ups and takes a hike.

I am finding myself in this position at the moment. I really, really don't like it at all. Seemingly offhand comments from a person I greatly admire have caused me to have doubts about everything I have been doing for the last 4 years. I know that I should put on my big girl panties and move on - just do what I've been doing, but do it better and with more originality. Easier said than done unfortunately. I now wonder about allowing myself to be inspired by all the wonderful talent around me - am I inspired or am I just imitating instead of being truly creative?

I don't usually piss and moan on here, but I feel some explanation for the lack of much creative fruit lately might be in order. I won't have my card making supplies with me - there is absolutely no room for anything but my laptop and maybe a little knitting on the boat. But I will have my laptop so hopefully my digis will reappear - most of them anyway but not all and hopefully some new ones that I will dream up on my month on Belmira. I want to explore creating things that will work with Nestabilities dies - that seems to be a safe place to start.

I really enjoyed creating the new watermark and signature - it helped me feel like I was keeping my fingers in the pie. They are just temporary though as I know that they still look way too much like the old ones and I need to find my own path. It's just kinda foggy around me at the moment and the path is not very clear.

Thanks for hanging in there and being patient and supportive - I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Things might get sparse on here over the next month. There's wifi in the marina but it's not extremely reliable. I will be keeping up with my dt duties (look for some wonderful new creative energy on Kaboodle very soon) but that may be it until August when I come home. I'm going to do a lot of soul searching while gazing out to sea and enjoying all the marvelous beauty that the New England coast has to offer as well as the emotional security that spending time with my better half always brings me. Hopefully I will find some peace of mind and a new well of creativity!!!

Thanks for visiting and for letting me vent a bit!

chris

Design Team Coordinator:
Sentimental Sundays
Kaboodle Doodles

If you have any questions about the techniques or materials used in the work displayed on this blog, feel free to use the email link on the left and I will gladly answer your questions.

9 comments:

Sue from Oregon said...

I don't know what was said to you, but I tell you I learned to stamp by making exact copies of other's cards until I was confident enough to branch out on my own. I think all my creations have little bits of inspiration I have seen all over the web...I am happy to have the inspiration and not intimidated by it all! What you create is yours and all yours...no need to let anyone rain on your parade! I know you are creating inspiration for others who enjoy your blog!

Anne-Marie said...

I agree with Sue from Oregon....can't say I've noticed any lack of imagination on your part, just lots of inspiration...and isn't that what it's all about? I know when I see something I like, and will start out to maybe CASE it, but more often than not, it takes on a life of its own! Don't beat yourself up, sweetie....recharge your batteries, and come back totally refreshed....we'll still be here, lol! :D

LeAnne said...

I would not take the comment someone made too seriously! I think the summer months have a way of slowing everyone down....and mojo follows the trend. I think it's God's way of telling us it's okay to relax, enjoy the boat, sleep, read, knit, whatever. I am willing to bet you come home rejuvenated and will start stamping up a storm. Keep a journal for all the ideas that come to you while you're sailing---then you can refer to it once you're back on dry land! :D We'll miss you....but I know you'll be having fun!

barb said...

Don't let anyone take your happy away from you.

Revelry Cupcakes said...

Alright I think I need to open a can of ******** on this person! This DIL doesn't allow such nonsense!
ps love the new look of the blog!

Lee said...

I love your blog,and your creations.Forget the negative comments.I have often thought about giving up card making as i do struggle,but then i think no,i wont be beaten lol.Take care.xxxxx

Cheryl said...

Chris, your work is beautiful and don't let some one get you down or doubt yourself.

As for missing mojo, I think we all have been in that boat. (Ha ha! Pun intended) Anyhow, I usually look at other peoples blogs, magazines, or lately, my big addiction, it Pinterest. If I don't find something that wakes up the mojo, I force myself to CASE something, usually outside my style or comfort zone. once I struggle through that project, my mojo usually comes back at least a little.

Enjoy your time on the coast! It sounds simply wonderful. Let me know if you need any help at the SS blog and I will pitch in.

Sending you a cyber hug.

Cheryl said...

PS. I just read the other comments. I'm lovin' these ladies right now. :)

Curt in Indy said...

I don't let anyone define me but me. So negative comments are not going to get to me because they are usually meant to hurt and are usually spoken out of jealousy. I find you to be not only creative, but sweet, and honest, and generous, and thoughtful. . .Remember, it doesn't take any creativity to be negative, it takes a ton of creativity to get over it and move on. You got it kiddo, and I expect to see much, much more from you! Best, Curt

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you ....